Pages

Saturday 26 April 2014

the psychology of food…..

It's been several weeks now that we began this journey of wellness specifically regarding the food that we eat. When I had previously thought about a reboot or a cleanse and then following a nutrition plan that would support losing weight and our wellness, it all seemed like a great idea. As the day neared that we were going to begin, an interesting thought process began to take place in my head. It was as though I was going to have to grieve the 'loss' of some of what we normally ate and this bothered me more than I realized it would. I was thinking of all the things that I was going to have to give up and the list just seemed to keep getting longer. All I could think of were the foods that I might never get to eat again! My mind was immediately taken over by such words as ''can't have" and "deprivation". It was as though I was going to be punished now so that I in turn could be well and I would have to make a trade-off to do so. All of my focus was on the negative aspects of what I was going to have to do to achieve my goal. I was focusing on how hard it was going to be and how I was going to be missing out on so many foods that I would normally enjoy. And yet many of these foods were some that led to the weight gain and some did not further my wellness.  I remember distinctly realizing that this kind of thinking would do nothing to make my goal feel and be attainable. Who wants to feel deprived? Who wants to feel like there is a mountain of work ahead of you? Who wants to feel like there is a long list of foods that you can never eat again? I came to an understanding that if I was going to be successful that my focus needed to be on all the foods that were going to bring me closer to my goals.

There are many foods that we have not eaten since we began this journey. It's interesting to note that I do not miss them as much as I thought I would. I can truly say that I have not felt deprived of these foods and realize quickly that partaking of them would not bring me closer to my current and immediate goals. I'm not going to say that I will never again eat a dessert or breads but they will not take on the same role in my diet as they did previously. I know what makes me feel well and what will not and that too much of something will leave me with a negative balance as opposed to a positive one. It has been important to be checking in with Sarah our RHN and she provides us with support and encouragement in the way of her knowledge and also recipes for us to follow. We do our weigh in and cheek in with our Tanita scale stats. I feel that we have been doing great so far on this journey that we have chosen to take and can see that many of the changes we have made will be ones that will carry on for us even after our goals have been achieved. Feeling well and reaping its benefits are a way of life. We know that we don't have to be purists to be successful, but making good choices will always bring us closer to our goal of wellness rather than farther away from it. Good food = good health, along with a peaceful mind and a calm spirit.

Wishing you wellness,

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment