Pages

Thursday 7 November 2013

my flu shot choice…….

I've had this commentary running through my head for a while now. It involves the policies that many institutions are setting in place regarding the flu season and particularly the way that those persons choosing not to get the flu shot will be treated. I understand that a policy needs to be in place but I beg to differ with the content at times. The most common policy for most facilities present day is that if there is a flu outbreak, the staff that have not had the flu shot will be sent home without pay because they cannot apparently offer any protection to their patients. This year the newest trend is for those that are non-compliant to wear a mask when there is an outbreak. I can deal with either of these policies and they will not sway my decision to be able to 'choose' how I approach my wellness. What I do differ with is that those of us who choose to not have the shot have been referred to as being a threat not only to patients but to people in society as a whole. My, oh my, those are very strong words. I also recently read that there is a correlation between patient mortality and the level of compliance of staff receiving the flu shot. Once again very strong words. It feels to me that those of us who choose 'personal choice' are made out to be the undesirables who in fact are out to harm others by having made this choice. I can only speak for myself but this ideology to me is so far from my truth that it greatly disappoints me and I am personally offended. I do my best each and every day to live a life that will support my wellness on all levels. It is a holistic health philosophy that I choose to participate in 12 months of the year as opposed to a moment where I will receive an injection that will magically make me be what they want me to be.

 I feel as though my efforts to live a life filled with healthy choices is completely negated by the fact that my personal choice is to not receive the flu shot. My wellness plan involves supporting my immunity during the entire year and boosting it during the flu season. My wellness plan involves so much more and yet it seems to count for nothing.

We all are allowed to make a choice and I have made mine. To live my life as best I can every day and promote my wellness similarly……..that's all.

Wishing health and wellness for all,

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment