Pages

Thursday 20 June 2013

Preserving goodness......

The last couple of days have been filled with strawberries at our house. It has been a rainy season here and the strawberry harvest is small so I was very lucky to be able to get a flat of organic strawberries from Cathy my farmer friend. The fact that they were knowingly grown with love and then turned into sweet, sweet jam is just the best ever! I used a new recipe this year from a great cookbook by Marisa McClellan, who writes the Food in Jars canning blog. I have a real sensitivity to sugar and I used a mix of both organic sugar and agave hoping that it would give me a tasty jam and create a good set. By making my own jam I don't have to worry about us eating anything other than what I stirred into the fruit myself. All the goodness of homemade jam in the jar! I managed to put up 15 half-pint jars from two batches. I can't wait until the snow starts to fly and we can taste the sweetness of a June strawberry!

By all means if you are interested check out the Food in Jars blog at http://www.foodinjars.com

If you've never canned before Marisa's book is a great place to start!

Have a great day!

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment