Pages

Tuesday 16 July 2013

Trumpet vine......


This plant came creeping over the fence from my neighbour's side this year and just in the past couple of weeks it began to bloom! First these clusters of buds showed themselves and then the beautiful trumpet flowers bloomed! Mother Nature designs the most amazing plants and I'm not sure that we take note of this often enough. I had never seen anything like this before and I had to get a close up look at it immediately. The shape, colour, texture and it's design is incredible! I had no idea what is was and after a quick internet search I found out it is called a Trumpet Vine and also a Hummingbird Flower. So apparently they attract hummingbirds and coincidentally this is the first year I have  had a hummingbird feeder in the yard and just on the weekend we had our first little fellow show up for a drink! What a gift that was to see! We were thrilled! Back to the plant.....it has quite dense foliage and therefore can house bird nests well. It is also though apparently quite invasive and can crowd out other plants, so we will have to watch for this although its root is not in our yard, but it might trail itself underground into our yard. We will keep a watchful eye. 

All in all I am pleased to share in it's beauty. It reminds me that I must appreciate the beauty that Mother Nature provides for us each day.

Blessings,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment