Pages

Tuesday 30 July 2013

yoga is back.........

In the midst of the events that took place these past couple of weeks, it made me look at a few things and prompted me to make some changes. I think I live a pretty balanced life in many areas but there  is always room to improve. I really go in fits & starts with my exercise regime and I feel like it's time again to address that. I'm a woman who is in her late 50's and I really want to maintain my fitness so that as I age I can continue to participate in life easily without having limitations because of a diminished physical status. I used to do a lot of power walking, but winter seems to be a better time for me to do that at the local track at the community centre. I don't want to go to a gym as its an expense I would rather do without. I would rather spend that money on our trips to the market to buy healthy food choices. So I thought that it was maybe time again to do some yoga, which I can easily do in the comfort of my own home. I have done lots of yoga in the past and the rewards are always so deep. It's not just a bit of stretching of the body physically, but it also stretches the mind in many ways. I spoke with my partner Kelly about it and she agreed that she would like to try it also. It now also is turning into something that we can do together. Yoga is new to her so we are heading into it slowly which is fine for both of us since I haven't done any in a long time. 

Our bodies were designed to move and yet our everyday movement is truly not enough. Yes, we walk and move daily, but to actually spend time in an activity that is designed to work on muscles is what is so important. There will be so many dividends paid in terms of how the yoga will help us in mind, body & spirit. It is not only a physical activity but there is a mental component that is part of it also. It has a meditative element that is greatly beneficial to our wellness. It is also about the 'breath' element. Breathing is a big part of our health and wellness. How our breath moves through our body is important to each and every cell in our body. I see even our food choices being affected by the element of yoga as they relate to our wellness. When I go to pick something to eat either for a snack or a meal I make that choice by being more invested in my health and wellness so I will tend to make a better choice. I believe that all of these elements combined allow us to move through our day and life in a more balanced way. Mind, body & spirit all working together as one. We were given the gift of a human body and it is our responsibility to nurture and take care of it. 

We began 2 days ago and I can honestly say I feel a difference already. I can feel the fact that my muscles have been stretched in various ways and I must say that I LOVE the feel of that! There is something about the feel of the 'stretch' that makes me enjoy the yoga so much. I feel as though my body is waking up and the cells are being invigorated with movement. I think the cells are happy with my choice to incorporate movement into my exercise regime and will give back to me in ways that increase my health and wellness. They are smiling because they are happy that I am taking care of them! I know, that maybe sounds silly but that's the way I look at it. If I am good to my body, my body will be good back to me. Maybe my 'stretching' high is like a runners 'high'. It makes me look forward to our next yoga session and when you miss one you truly can't wait to get back to it! 

So we have begun our yoga journey and I feel that it is going to be a really great one in so many ways! We will both be able to enjoy together the rewards that it will bring to us. We have set a goal and when you do this with someone else there is that level of accountability that goes along with it and it helps you to stay on track and keep a good focus.


So yoga is back in my life and I'm happy about that. It's thirty or so minutes out of my day that will add up to so many benefits over time. That is a small price to pay for wellness in so many areas of my life. 

I hope that you have some time in your day to devote to your wellness. It's just so important. 

Blessings, 

Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment